Ah, these lazy days of eating after Christmas. The steady stream of cheese, chocolate and stuffing has finally come to and end but I’m not yet ready to give up minor indulgences. Today, curled up on the sofa with the kids to watch The Jungle Book, we need something only slightly naughty. Enter: vegetables on popcorn. Yup, you heard that right. Sweetened, vanilla-infused beet juice candied over coconut-oil popped popcorn. So quicky, easy and delicious. Oh, and bright purple, naturally. It’s gently sweet, subtly vanilla-scented and utterly moreish.
I juiced the beets in my amazing Froothie Optimum 600 slow juicer, which calmly crushes the daylights out of all manner of fruits and vegetables. I’ll do a proper review of it for you in the coming weeks, but I’ve been putting it through its paces for a little while now and it’s fab. Perfect for a bit of a jumpstart January – getting back to healthy eating through fresh juices, smoothies and soups.
Sorry for the radio silence on the blog, everyone. This is the first time I’ve missed a week since I started Veggie Desserts! I suppose work, Christmas and buying a new house caught up with me. But I’m back and ready to post a load more vegetable-filled treats.
- ½ cup popping corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 small raw beets
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the coconut oil in a large lidded pot. Add the corn kernels, cover and gently shake occasionally until popped.
- Run the beets through a juicer (I use a Froothie Optimum 600 slow juicer). Strain the juice into a small pan and gently heat, with the sugar and vanilla until the sugar has melted. Allow to cool then pour over the popcorn and stir to coat.