Beetroot chocolate protein balls are healthy, have veg in them and they’re easy-to-make and easy-to-eat. The protein balls are filled with goodness courtesy of oats and protein-rich peanut butter and for the vegetable in this recipe I’ve added beets – always a delicious bedfellow for chocolate. Roll them in coconut, cacao, linseeds, anything you have to hand.
I’ll admit it: I’ve hit the chocolate pretty hard this Christmas. And my mum’s brandy-soaked Christmas cake kept me evenly hammered over the Yuletide season. But I can’t just pass up the remnants of the Quality Street tin cold turkey (boom boom), so I’ll need a small healthy hit of chocolate every day to get back to my usual relatively good diet. Exit the toffee pennies, enter the protein ball.
My little ones need a bit of a detox as well. I need to put an end to the wild-eyed pleading for another chocolate penny as they rabidly run about, high on sugar, paper-tearing euphoria and the off-gassing of new toys and leftover sprouts.
These easy-to-make, easy-to-eat protein balls are filled with goodness courtesy of oats and protein-rich peanut butter and for the vegetable in this recipe I’ve added beets – always a delicious bedfellow for chocolate. I prefer mine rolled in milled linseeds for a bit of extra goodness, but also try cocoa powder, coconut or chopped nuts. Store them in the fridge or freezer for a quick treat for both adults and kids.
Happy New Year x
- 75g (2/3 cup) rolled oats
- 1 cooked, cooled beetroot (about 75g)
- 125g (1/2 cup) peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon skimmed milk powder or protein powder
- Coconut, cocoa powder, milled linseeds etc… for rolling
- In a food processor, whiz the oats until they are fine. Add all other ingredients and combine. Roll into teaspoon-sized balls, roll in coconut, cocoa etc… and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
I made this recipe in my amazing Froothie Optimum 9400 high-speed blender. I’m an ambassador for the brand, so if you mention Veggie Desserts when you order, you’ll get two years free warranty.
Pin for later!
LOOKING FOR MORE DESSERTS WITH BEETROOT? TRY THESE:
Beet Nut Butter Cups (vegan)
Beetroot Raspberry Chia Jam, vegan