This beetroot soup is vibrant, smooth and full of flavour. You only need 6 ingredients for this smooth, creamy and tasty vegan or vegetarian beet soup. It is similar to borscht soup and it’s hearty and filling and each bowl only has 139 calories!
This smooth and velvety beetroot soup is absolutely delicious. It’s really easy to make and you only need 6 ingredients. I love the vibrant colour that the soup takes on and it’s wonderfully contrasted both in colour and flavour by the fresh sprigs of dill garnish.
Time saving tip: I roasted beets for this recipe, but if you’re short on time, feel free to substitute canned or vacuum packed beets (not in vinegar).
This soup is warming, rich, earthy and full of goodness.
Why this is the BEST beet soup
- This is a quick and easy blender soup.
- Beetroots are a great source of folic acid, fibre, manganese and potassium.
- I serve this beetroot soup hot, but you could also serve it cold.
- You can store this soup in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- This soup is freezable.
- Make it vegan: use dairy free yogurt.
- This soup is naturally gluten free.
- Make it vegetarian: this soup is naturally vegetarian.
Traditional Borscht is a sweet/sour beet soup that’s popular in loads of countries such as Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Lithuania and Belarus.
There are many country variations and regional variations within them, so it’s not the sort of recipe that you can pin down to specific ingredients. It can be served hot or cold, with or without meat and with various vegetables. Here’s a traditional Ukrainian Borscht.
My version is a vegetarian / vegan beetroot soup that’s made with roasted beets in the blender and flavoured with a little fresh dill. It’s easy, quick and delicious.
Use up any leftover ingredients
Here are some recipe ideas to help reduce food waste and save money by using up any extra ingredients you have left over from making this recipe.
If you’re looking for more vegan soup recipes, be sure to check out my list of 25+ Vegan Soup Recipes!
Get the Beetroot Soup Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes, vegan cake and also easy vegan desserts.
- 17 oz (500g) raw beets (approx 4 beetroots)
- 2 tbsp oil divided
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 stick of celery chopped
- 4 1/4 cups (750ml) vegetable stock/broth (low sodium is best)
- 2 tbsp dill chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Sprigs of dill
- Yogurt or dairy free yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Top and tail the beetroot, then wash them and cut into small chunks. Place them onto a baking tray and drizzle with half the oil and stir to coat. Roast for 30 minutes or until cooked through and they begin to darken.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the roasted beets and stock/broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped dill and puree the soup with a hand blender or carefully transfer to a blender and whiz.
- Serve in bowls with a drizzle of yogurt and sprinkling of dill.