These carrot cake quinoa balls are quick, healthy and flavourful. Puffed quinoa is combined with grated carrot, peanut butter and spices to make a vegan, gluten-free, super-fast treat. Fantastic for breakfast, snacks or treats for the kids, they only take minutes to make.
Sometimes the kids want something sweet. They’re kids, so it’s understandable, but I don’t want them to have cookies, chocolate or other treats every day. I don’t begrudge them having the odd sweet treat, but I try to keep it to a minimum.
My children, especially my three-year-old daughter, love to help in the kitchen. We make healthy balls quite often, using up whatever ingredients we have to hand. They love sweet potato and fresh ginger protein balls and beetroot chocolate balls, particularly.
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 20g puffed quinoa (usually in the cereal aisle)
- 3 tablespoons peanut or nut butter
- 1 teaspoon date syrup (or honey or agave)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- Mix all ingredients together well. Roll into balls and store in the fridge until ready to eat.
These carrot cake quinoa balls were so popular, we made them twice in one week! They’re really nice chilled and such a quick snack. They are filling in small portions and give adults and children alike a hit of energy, without refined sugar or any nasties.