Hello, brownies! Hello vegan, vegetable-filled, quick and easy brownies! *waves and wipes crumbs from chin*. These brownies have that traditional chewy texture, crunch of nuts, ooze of melted chocolate and are absolutely FILLED with grated courgette (zucchini to my North American friends).
I was inspired for this vegan brownie recipe by Lindsey over at TheLiveInKitchen. Take a look at her blog, she has amazing healthy recipes.
- 250g (2 cups, shredded) raw courgette
- 200g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 120ml (½ cup) vegetable oil
- 225g (2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 25g (1/4 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 120g (3/4 cup) chopped pecans
- 50g (1/2 cup) chopped dark chocolate (vegan if desired)
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F. Grease an 8x8 pan with oil.
- Grate the unpeeled raw courgette (zucchini) and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients except the courgette, pecans and chopped chocolate, with an electric mixer until it resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the courgette, nuts and chocolate, then pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly pressing the centre feels firm. Cool in the pan for a few minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool. Cut and serve.
Did you see my interview in Fabulous Magazine in The Sun last week?
More courgette to use up?
Becca from Amuse Your Bouche has a gorgeous Courgette and Goat’s Cheese Frittata. I love her beautiful blog and cook from it LOADS (last night, in fact – Eggplant stacks).
The legendary Danni from Hungry Happy Healthy is not only an amazing weight loss and healthy living resource, but she has a fab recipe for Roasted Veg and Courgette Lasagne.
Jac from Tinned Tomatoes is one of the UK’s top food bloggers and is utterly lovely to boot. Her blog is a vast selection of vegetarian and vegan recipes that are sooooo good. Try her Lentil, Courgette and Thyme Burgers.
Kellie from Food to Glow is a cancer health educator and has a blog filled with amazing, healthy recipes. Definitely check out her Beet Tops and Courgette Tartlets.
The lovely Kavey has a blog filled with amazing food, and the lucky woman has just eaten her way around Iceland! (Jealous, moi?). Here is her quick blender soup: Courgette and Blue Cheese Soup.
Helene from Croque Maman makes such utterly elegant food. Her ratatouille is so gorgeous. I would slop it into a bowl, Helene treats it beautifully, wrapping it in courgette and presenting it with grace.
Camilla from Fab Food 4 All has a go-to blog for family meals. Her passion for using up food and creating something great from store cupboard ingredients is remarkable. Check out her Mediterranean Couscous.