This recipe for easy courgette fritters makes them wonderfully crispy on the outside with soft delicate courgette inside. The cheese adds a hit of flavour and melts in the middle. They’re wonderful as a side dish, snack, dinner or even breakfast!
At this time of year, we can be overrun by homegrown courgettes (zucchini).
I’m not one for growing them myself as I tend instead to slowly kill everything I plant, but you might have a courgette glut you’re looking to use up!
They’re also very plentiful in supermarkets and greengrocers, so these fritters are a recipe that I tend to cook pretty much year round.
My kids love cheese, so these cheesy courgette fritters are a hit at my house. Plus the little ones love to help make them.
These easy courgette fritters crispy on the outside with soft, fragrant courgette inside.
The cheese adds a hit of flavour and melts in the middle.
Enjoy them warm as a lunch or side dish, or make ahead for picnics and party food.
How to serve courgette fritters
They’re great as a side dish, snack, lunch or party food. Some ways to serve courgette fritters are:
- Topped with sour cream and chives
- With sweet chilli sauce to dip
- To accompany vegetarian chilli
- Alongside a broccoli salad (you’ll hit your five a day!)
- For breakfast with a poached egg
- As a side to kale soup for a veg-packed dinner or lunch
- Followed by my incredibly popular Courgette Cake – to use up all those courgettes!
How to make courgette fritters
It’s really easy to make courgette fritters. It only takes a few minutes to grate the courgette by hand with a box grater, but it’s super-quick with a food processor.
I do it by hand though so there’s less washing up!
Mix it all up and fry big dollops. It’s so simple.
1: You just need to grate your raw, unpeeled courgette. Then gently squeeze out a bit of the excess moisture in a clean tea towel.
2: Mix the egg and grated cheese into the grated courgette.
3: Stir in the flour and salt.
4: Heat the oil in a pan and fry large spoonfuls until golden, then flip.
Courgette Fritters Tips
- You don’t have to squeeze out all of the moisture, just give it a few good squeezes to get the bulk of it out.
- Some recipes call for salting the courgette to reduce the moisture, but I find squeezing works better (and it’s faster)
- Grate the raw unpeeled courgette with a box grater or food processor
- Add herbs: a little basil or mint work well
- Add spices: try a pinch of cumin or smoked paprika
- Make them spicy by adding a tsp of dried chilli flakes or a little glug of hot sauce to the batter
- Swap the cheddar cheese for parmesan or feta
- Add a few tablespoons of corn kernels for more texture
Freezing Courgette Fritters
- Zucchini fritters are best eaten on the same day, but you can freeze courgette fritters after they’ve cooked and cooled.
- To cook from frozen, bake in the oven or refry to crisp them up again.
- Make vegan courgette fritters: use a flax egg (for each egg, stir 1tbsp ground flax into 3 tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes to become gelatinous) and vegan cheese (or a tbsp of nutritional yeast)
- Make them gluten-free by using gluten free flour
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on social media with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.Follow me on Instagram > Twitter > Facebook > Pinterest > Youtube
Get the courgette fritters recipe
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes and also easy vegan desserts.
Cheesy Courgette Fritters
- 250 g - 9oz - courgette (zucchini) approximately 1 courgette
- 2 large eggs
- 50 g - 1/2 cup - grated cheddar cheese
- 100 g - 3/4 cup - plain flour (all purpose flour)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
To serve (optional):
- Sour cream and chopped chives
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Coarsely grate the raw unpeeled courgette, then gently squeeze out some of the moisture in a clean tea towel.
- Add the grated courgette, eggs and cheese to a large bowl, then mix well.
- Add the flour and salt and gently combine.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then drop in heaped tablespoonfuls of the mixture. Cook for a few minutes until golden, turn and cook the other side. Repeat to use up the remaining batter, adding more oil as necessary.
- Serve warm with sour cream and chives and/or sweet chilli sauce.
- Make it vegan: use a flax egg (for each egg, stir 1tbsp ground flax into 3 tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes to become gelatinous) and vegan cheese (or a tbsp of nutritional yeast)
- Make it gluten-free: use gluten free flour
- Freezable: freeze the cooked courgette fritters and reheat in a frying pan or oven