These easy vegan chocolate cupcakes don’t require any unusual ingredients! They’re quick, easy and so moist and delicious that nobody would guess they’re vegan!
People are often worried about baking vegan desserts. They seem to think that you’ll need unusual ingredients (like chia and flax) or that the results will be inferior. WRONG!
These vegan cupcakes show that you can very easily whip up a batch of vegan cupcakes and they’ll taste every bit as delicious.
They’re moist, fluffy and full of decadent chocolate flavour. I’ve topped them with vegan vanilla frosting and pretty vegan sprinkles!
How to Make Vegan Cupcakes
Rather than use chia or flax in these cupcakes, I’ve used store cupboard ingredients. They make moist and chocolaty cupcakes that taste absolutely delicious.
You will need:
For the icing
Powdered icing sugar
How to Make Chocolate Vegan Cupcakes: Step 1 – Whisk the melted butter and sugar together, then whisk in the milk (with lemon juice in it to sour)
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes: Step 2 – Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes: Step 3 – Stir in the milk then spoon into the prepared muffin tray and bake.
If you’re looking for other easy vegan dessert recipes, you must try my vegan chocolate cake – SOOOO many of you have made it and loved it. I love looking at your recreations on Instagram and other social media.
My vanilla vegan birthday cake is also hugely popular with you lovely readers!
“I made this cake yesterday and it was amazing! I can’t believe how well and fluffy it turned out. Best of all you can’t tell it’s any different to a non vegan sponge!! – Hannah
Get the Easy Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how this vegan cupcakes recipe turned out for you! Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
You don't need any unusual ingredients for these easy vegan chocolate cupcakes. They're moist, fluffy and full of decadent chocolate flavour.
- 150 ml non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 g non-dairy butter , melted and cooled
- 100 g sugar
- 125 g plain flour (all-purpose)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 75 g non-dairy butter
- 225 g icing sugar (confectioner's)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk
Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk to sour it and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugar until well combined. Stir in the milk mixture and the vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa and mix to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tray to ¾ full. Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, for the icing, beat the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and and 1 tablespoon of milk until thick and smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add another tablespoon of milk. If it’s too thin, add more icing sugar.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag and decorate the completely cooled cupcakes as desired.