Halloumi souvlaki with tzatziki is a flavourful and quick vegetarian meal. In less than 20 minutes you can be sitting down to this delicious meal.
Halloumi souvlaki is a fantastic, super-quick, flavourful midweek meal. I love meals that the whole family will happily tuck into, but don’t take forever to make. I love cooking, absolutely, but sometimes all we want are fast meals that are made from scratch, nourishing and delicious.
After eating this souvlaki, my husband said that we should have it once a week. High praise, indeed! He eats meat, but he also said that the halloumi was much nicer than chicken in this dish. I’m slowly working towards making him veggie – but shhh don’t tell him.
I made these halloumi souvlaki skewers indoors in a griddle pan, but they would also be excellent on the barbecue or you could even make them under the grill/broiler. Just get them nice and hot so the halloumi goes crispy quickly without turning rubbery.
I’ve used tomatoes, red onion, peppers and courgette/zucchini, but you could use many different types of vegetables – aubergine/eggplant, cubes of squash etc… Skewers are a great way to use up vegetables and help to reduce food waste.
Do you love halloumi? Yes, I thought you all might. It has such a great, salty flavour and the dense texture is a great meat substitute for vegetarians. I love it in salads, but when Waitrose asked me to develop a recipe using it, I instantly knew that I wanted to use it in souvlaki. I’ve slathered it in a marinade of lemon juice, oil, oregano and mint, then seared it on a grill to make the halloumi beautifully crispy. Add a quick tzatziki sauce and some wholemeal flatbreads, and you have dinner in less than 20 minutes.
Are you looking for more inspired recipes using this lovely salty cheese? Waitrose has a selection of halloumi recipes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried mint
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 250g halloumi cheese
- 1 red bell pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 courgette (zucchini)
- 1 red onion
- 1 medium cucumber
- 150g (½ cup) plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Small pinch salt and pepper
- 4 flatbreads
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, oregano, mint and lemon juice.
- Cut the halloumi and vegetables into large chunks and add to the bowl of marinade, then toss to coat. Allow to marinade while the barbecue or griddle pan heats.
- Thread the halloumi and vegetables onto skewers, then grill until lightly charred. Baste with any remaining marinade.
- Meanwhile, make the tzatziki. Cut the unpeeled cucumber lengthways and use a teaspoon to scoop out and discard the watery seeds. Chop the cucumber into chunks and pulse in a food processor a few times until it is finely grated. Place into a clean tea towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
- In a bowl, mix together the cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
Disclosure: This post for Halloumi Souvlaki with Tzatziki was commissioned by Waitrose. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that make it possible for me to mess up my kitchen and write Veggie Desserts – Healthy Meals and Lifestyle.