Make your own quick and tasty carrot hot dog with pureed veggies and lentils to give them a delicious taste and fine ‘veggie dog’-like texture. They’re fast, easy and full of goodness.
With these veggie hot dogs, I’ve pureed the lentils and veggies so they have a finer and more ‘veggie dog’-like texture.
The smoked paprika and garlic powder give them that classic hot dog aroma and taste, but they’re full of goodness from pulses and veggies. I’ve made them with plain flour, but gluten-free flour works well if required.
Veggie Lentil Carrot Hot Dogs
Although I like veggie dogs that are full of texture with identifiable pieces of veggies and pulses, my kids don’t like ones that are chunky, so I’ve whizzed the lentils and vegetables in this recipe to make them finer and a bit more like store-bought vegetarian hot dogs.
So, let’s put on some music, eat veggie dogs and party. Because I quite like the idea of making every day a celebration.
Healthy kids food
As much as I wish they would, my kids don’t squeal with excitement when I feed them kale. They’re quite good at eating raw veggies with hummus, but if I were to ask them what they wanted for dinner they’re more likely to ask for pizza, pasta or veggie dogs. If it were up to them, every night it would be party food for dinner.
I suppose that’s understandable. They’re busy growing their bodies and minds and each day is full of wonder. So why not make every meal a party?
I’m not going to give them a beige buffet every night, but a tray of raw veggies alongside homemade nutritious veggie dogs can actually be quite a healthy meal. Wholemeal bread rolls makes it even better. And you can easily make refined sugar free homemade tomato ketchup!
Sure, it’s a bit more effort. But these veggie dogs freeze well, so I’d suggest making a double batch and stashing them in the freezer. They’re really easy to make and the kids will love rolling them into hot dog shapes.
How to make veggie hot dogs
You don’t need to turn to processed store bought veggie dogs. They’re really easy to make yourself and taste delicious.
You will need:
flour (plain or gluten-free)
Then you just need to cook the lentils, fry the onion and then whiz it all up on a food processor or blender! Shape it into hot dog shapes, chill them and then fry.
Get the veggie lentil carrot hot dog recipe
- 200 g dried red lentils rinsed
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 150 g plain flour
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Cook the lentils in the stock for 10 minutes or until tender, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the onion and sautee for a few minutes until translucent but not browned. Add the grated carrot and sautee for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the cooked lentils, carrot mixture, spices, salt and pepper to a food processor and whiz until it’s thick and well combined.
- Tip the mixture into a bowl and mix in 3 tablespoons of the flour. Add more flour, a tablespoon at a time, until a thick and manageable consistency. You may not need all of the flour.
- Roll into hot dog-like shapes, place on a plate, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a frying pan over a medium/low heat and add some of the hot dogs. Fry, gently turning often, until golden. Repeat in batches.
- Serve in a hot dog bun.