Mince Pie Filo Cigars are a lighter way to enjoy the flavours of mince pies. The mincemeat has chopped apples and pears and then it’s all rolled in filo pastry and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
These filo cigars are a great way to enjoy all the tastes of traditional Christmas mince pies – but in a lighter version.
I love how traditional Christmas food really makes the holiday special. From stuffing and sprouts to yule log and fruitcake, these festive foods stand alone well, but for some reason we tend to restrict them to Christmas. I’d happily tuck into my mum’s famous veggie stuffing any time of year, but I never have it outside of December. I wonder why?
What is mincemeat?
Mincemeat is a festive mix of dried fruits, spices and often alcohol such as brandy or rum. The name comes because long ago it actually had meat in it, though you’d be hard pressed to find any with meat in it these days. If does sometimes contain beef suet, but many commercially bought versions use veggie suet.
You can very easily make your own mincemeat, but for this version I’ve made it easy with readily available store-bought. I love picking up a jar at the local WI stall at the market and if I’m lucky my mum will make up a batch. I’ve also used store-bought filo pastry because life’s wayyyyy too short to make my own!
Although I love mincemeat, I do find it a bit stodgy, so for this recipe I’ve added chopped apples and pears to make it a bit fresher tasting and lighter.
How to make Mince Pie Filo Cigars (step-by-step)
Butter (or non-dairy margarine)
Make it vegan: Check the mincemeat is suitable for vegans, and use dairy-free butter!
How to make mince pie filo cigars: Step 1 – add chopped apple and pear to the mincemeat
Mince Pie Filo Cigars: Step 2 – brush the filo sheets with butter
How to make mince pie filo cigars: Step 3 – spoon the mincemeat onto rectangles of the filo sheets and roll into cigar shapes.
Get the Mincemeat Filo Cigars recipe
If you make this mince pie filo cigar recipe, please tag it with #veggiedesserts on Instagram or other social media. I LOVE seeing your recreations of my recipes.
Mince Pie Filo Cigars with Cinnamon Sugar
- 5 tbsp store bought sweet mincemeat (US readers, it's a boozy mix of dried fruit, spices and brandy)
- 1/2 apple peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 pear peeled, cored and diced
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 2 tbsp butter (or dairy free butter) melted
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the mincemeat and diced fruit.
- Lay out one sheet of filo pastry (cover the rest with a damp tea towel so it doesn't dry out) and brush with melted butter.
- Lay another sheet on top, then cut the stack of two into four equal sized rectangles. Spoon a little of the mincemeat mixture along one side of each double layer rectangle, fold in the ends and roll like a cigar. Place on the baking tray. Repeat with the remaining filo.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and enjoy!