Olia Hercules, author of Mamushka: Recipes from Ukraine and Beyond, teamed up with recipe box company Marley Spoon and created this fragrant spiced aubergine mujaddara with shallot garnish and yogurt.
We can all get stuck in food ruts sometimes, reaching for the same old faithful meals particularly when we’ve had a long day or are pressed for time. One great solution is recipe boxes. They’ve absolutely surged in popularity over the past year, so I’m sure you’re aware of how they work: you choose the meals you want online and a week later a box of portioned ingredients and recipes to follow arrives on your doorstep, waiting to be cooked. No shopping, no wondering what to cook. And a part that I particularly like: no food waste.
Scroll down for recipe!
Marley Spoon have done this so well. They sent me three meals to try and they were all healthy and made with fresh ingredients. They were also easy to veganise by just substituting yogurt or cheese for vegan versions that I had in the fridge.
One thing that I really liked was that Marley Spoon have step-by-step pictures in the recipe, making it so easy to cook. The box comes insulated with upcycled sheep’s wool, and inside are separate recyclable paper bags for each meal that contain all you need for each one.
In addition to this amazing, fragrant Spiced Aubergine Mujaddara from Olia Hercules for Marley Spoon, we tried flatbread pizzas and cherry tomato spaghetti. Both meals were really quick to prepare and the portions were so big that there was plenty for us to have leftovers for lunch the next day. The flavours were so good and the recipes weren’t complicated. I will definitely be ordering these boxes again in the very near future.
A delicious and quick meal of broccoli, Kalamata olive and pine nut pizzas on fluffy clouds of Lebanese flatbreads, with radicchio salad. So delicious!
The humble Middle Eastern dish of lentils and rice has made a comeback as a simple but flavourful meal that can be jazzed up with delicious trimmings. Olia’s version of the pilaf is combined with spiced, roasted aubergine rounds and topped with natural yoghurt, fresh dill and golden, crispy shallots.
- 2 aubergines
- 2g garam masala
- 2 banana shallots
- 150g basmati rice
- 150g yoghurt
- 10g dill
- 1 tin lentils
- 1g cinnamon
- 3g coriander
- 3g cumin
- olive oil
- salt, black pepper
- Cook spices - Preheat the oven to 220C/fan 200/gas 7. Drain and rinse the lentils, set aside. Heat 1tbsp of olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat, add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon and rice and cook for 1min or until the spices release their aroma. Stir, so the rice is coated in the spices.
- Cook rice - Add 350ml of cold water and ½tsp of salt. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and cook on a low heat, without stirring, for 15mins or until the water is absorbed. Then gently stir in the drained lentils with a fork and leave to rest with the lid on for 5-8mins.
- Cook aubergines - Meanwhile, slice the aubergines into 2.5cm thick rounds, brush generously with olive oil, sprinkle over the garam masala and season well with salt and pepper. Place on a baking tray in a single layer and roast in the oven for 10mins. Then flip them over and cook for another 5-8mins or until soft.
- Prep shallots - Meanwhile, cut the shallots in half through the root and peel. Slice, crosswise, as thin as possible.
- Fry shallots - Heat 5tbsp of vegetable oil in a small frying pan and shallow fry the shallots on medium heat, stirring often for 2-3mins until dark golden. Lift with a slotted spoon or some tongs and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve - Use a fork to fluff up the rice. Roughly chop the dill and stir ½ through the rice. Serve the aubergines on top of the rice, drizzle over some yoghurt, top with the crispy shallots and the remaining dill.
Recipe for aubergine mujaddara by Olia Hercules for Marley Spoon Photography by Alex Freundorfer
Get the recipe for Olia Hercules’ Lamb Steaks with Mint Ajika Sauce and Grilled Potatoes from Ren Behan and Emily’s review of the recipe boxes.
To be in with a chance of winning a recipe box with 2 meals for 2 people from Marley Spoon, all you have to do is enter via the Rafflecopter widget below. This giveaway is open to UK entrants only and runs until midnight on 14 July 2016.
Check out my other giveaways, including £100 of framed art, cookbooks, eco-friendly glass bottles and more!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Terms and conditions:
The winner will be announced on the Rafflecopter widget after the prize has been claimed.
There is 1 prize of a 2 meal for 2 people recipe box from Marley Spoon. Marley Spoon reserves the right to alter the prize.
There is no cash alternative and the prize is not transferable.
This giveaway is open to UK entrants only and runs until midnight on 14 July 2016.
The winner will be picked at random and then contacted via email.
Veggie Desserts, as the promoter, reserves the right to cancel or amend the giveaway and these terms and conditions without notice.
If the winner doesn’t respond to the email within 5 days, another winner will be picked.
The prize will be delivered to the winner as soon as possible by Marley Spoon directly.
Disclosure: Marley Spoon provided a prize to review and are providing one for the giveaway. All opinions are my own. Recipe for aubergine mujaddara courtesy of Olia Hercules.