These Lemon, Poppy Seed and Parsnip muffins with lemon drizzle are so delicious! The parsnip lends a lovely subtle earthy taste that goes brilliantly with the lemon.
Here is a recipe for a traditional, refreshing lemon poppy seed muffin, with parsnip. The parsnip lends a lovely subtle earthy taste that goes brilliantly with the lemon. The smaller the parsnip the sweeter they tend to be so go for a nice spindly one and get grating.
Ah, parsnips. Perhaps seen as the anaemic cousin to the carrot’s vivacious, popular bronzed goddess, but definitely not to me. Parsnip cake knocks the tops off carrot cake and a Sunday roast isn’t complete without my husband’s amazing parsnip puree. The flavour is earthy and subtly nutty
Parsnip is so easy to incorporate into baking and adds such a lovely mild rooty flavour to many dishes that it’s time to take it beyond roast dinner.
Get the recipe!
- 150g (5 oz) raw parsnip (approx 1)
- 250g (2 cups) plain flour (all-purpose)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarb of soda (baking soda)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 115g ( ½ cup) butter, softened (plus extra for greasing)
- 130g ( ¾ cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150g ( ½ cup) plain yogurt
- 100g ( ¾ cup) powdered icing sugar
- 4-5 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Grease or line a muffin tin.
- Peel and finely grate the parsnips. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda and salt. Stir in the poppy seeds and parsnip.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each in well. Beat in the zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract, blend well and then add the yogurt and combine.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, alternating three times.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups, filling them ¾ full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cook for a few minutes in the tin and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Stir lemon juice, teaspoon by teaspoon, into the icing sugar until a runny consistency. Drizzle over the completely cooled muffins.