Strawberries are amazing. Boozy strawberries are even better. But when that booze is Pimm’s, well that just sounds a klaxon and loudly announces that SUMMER’S COMING! It pretty much throws cut grass at you like confetti and paints its toenails in anticipation of flip flops.
Now, those boozy strawberries need something. Otherwise you might as well drink ice cold jugs of Pimm’s and get drunk on cocktail salad. Not entirely a bad thing.
So let’s make strawberry shortcakes. But this dessert needs a vegetable, don’t they all? Strawberries are great with spinach in so many types of food, like Beard and Bonnet’s salad, The Little Spice Jar’s smoothies and Glitter Guide’s savoury tarts, as well as my crepes and Yorkshire puddings/popovers… so I baked strawberry and spinach shortcakes and made them vegan with coconut cream. Yup, that’s what I did.
- 200g (2 cups) strawberries
- 30ml (1/8 cup) Pimm’s Cup Liqueur
- 240ml (1 cup) coconut cream, chilled, for whipping
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 100g (2 cups, packed) raw spinach
- 1 x 400ml can full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 280g (2 ½ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon bicarb (baking) soda
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F.
- Hull the strawberries and slice thickly. Pour the Pimms over the strawberries and leave in the fridge to infuse while making the shortcake.
- Whip the chilled coconut cream with the sugar until creamy. Refrigerate to firm up until ready to use.
- Steam or simmer the spinach for a few minutes until wilted. Refresh by running under cold water, drain, squeeze out any excess water and puree with a hand-held stick blender or food processor. Stir the puree and vanilla into the chilled coconut milk. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Add the coconut mixture and mix gently until just combined. Spoon the thick batter into an ungreased 8” square or round baking pan, spread to the edges and cook for 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool slightly in the pan, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Cut the cake into squares or rounds as desired and slice each one horizontally. Spread the whipped coconut cream between the slices, topped with the strawberries and drizzled with the Pimm’s/strawberry juice. Serve immediately.