Pizza tacos bring together two amazing meals in one recipe – with a smoky sauce on tortillas, topped with cheese, olives and vegetables.
Pizza and tacos. Two mighty fine meals. Let’s marry them together.
Let’s merge them into a smokey, vegetable-filled tomato sauce spread on lightly charred tortillas and liberally sprinkled with mozzarella, sweetcorn, peppers and basil.
The result is a wonderful mash-up of familiar international flavours that taste absolutely fantastic. The paprika and the sweetcorn, the oozing, melted cheese and the sweetly aromatic basil leaves torn amongst it all.
Together, they are a fusion of fresh flavours.
You could spread your pizza tacos with a dollop of concentrated tomato paste, sure, but this fresh homemade tomato sauce is bursting with a subtle smokey flavour and filled with vegetables.
It is quick and easy, plus there will be loads left over so you can put it on pasta, use it as a dip for bread of vegetables, or, my favourite, make a shakshuka with it.
Pizza tacos are so quick, easy and perfect as a meal the kids can help with. My little ones absolutely love these, particularly sprinkling the veggies on top.
Get the Pizza Tacos Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ an onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 x 400ml (16 oz) can of plum tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4-8 Flour tortillas
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons sweetcorn kernels
- ½ a red pepper, chopped
- small handful fresh basil leaves
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onions, celery and red pepper, cooking slowly until soft but not browned – for about 10 minutes.
- Add the plum tomatoes, with their juice, along with the oregano and paprika, and break the tomatoes up a bit with a spoon. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered. Blitz with a hand held blender, blender or food processor until smooth.
- Lightly char the tortillas on each side in a griddle pan, or warm them slightly in the oven. Spread the sauce on half of one side of the tortilla, top with mozzarella, sweetcorn, peppers and basil (or desired toppings) and place under the grill/broiler for a few minutes until the cheese melts. Fold and serve immediately.