This tasty, light and fluffy easy naan bread recipe is ready in just 15 minutes with 4 ingredients! Easily vegan, gluten-free and a quick yeast free bread.
Once you make these easy naan breads, I’m sure you’ll never want to buy pre-made ones again. They may not be completely authentic, but they’re light, fluffy and so quick to make.
I prefer to make my own simple naan bread rather than store bought. It’s cheaper and there are no unusual ingredients. Plus, my kids like to help roll them out. It’s a super quick yeast free bread that tastes delicious.
Quick Naan Bread
Rather than going for authenticity, this recipe focuses on making them fast. Just mix the four ingredients together, knead a few times, then roll out the dough and dry fry for a few minutes.
You could try adding in some flavourings, such as crushed garlic and chopped coriander to make them extra special. They’re perfect for mopping up your favourite curry. I often make them alongside my favourite red lentil dahl.
How to make Easy Naan Bread
Ingredients you will need:
Flour (or gluten free flour)
Plain Greek yogurt (or dairy free yogurt)
Tools you’ll need:
Naan bread recipe tips:
- Versatile – you can use them as general flatbreads, for kebabs or falafel, or my halloumi souvlaki.
- Brush wet flavourings on after, such as garlic infused butter or herb/chilli oil
- Add dry spices to the dough, such as cumin, garam masala, sumac etc…
- This is a yeast free bread, so it’s very quick and easy!
- Get the pan very hot for best results – you want the naan breads to cook quickly
- Make them in a frying pan or griddle pan
- Make it gluten-free: swapping to your favourite gluten-free flour and adjust the amount as it might absorb the yogurt differently.
- Make it vegan: Use dairy free yogurt, such as soy yogurt.
Step 1 – mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
Step 2 – Bring it all together into a dough.
Step 3 – form into a ball of dough, then knead briefly.
Step 4 – Divide the dough into small balls, then roll each one into rounds.
Then you just need to fry them in a hot dry frying pan until golden spots appear!
How to Enjoy Quick Yeast Free Bread
Since these naan breads are so quick and tasty, you can use them for more than just alongside an Indian meal. They’re fluffy and delicious yeast free flatbreads so have many uses:
- These unleavened breads are perfect alongside a delicious curry – try my dahl recipe or Cauliflower Leaf Curry.
- As a quick bread with dips (try my beet hummus)
- As a flatbread filled with veggies.
- It’s great for packed lunches with cheese or other fillings.
- Try it as an alternative to traditional bread in my vegan tuna mayo.
- Serve it to dip into soup, like my quick kale soup.
Make Easy Garlic Naan Bread
Just melt a little butter with some crushed garlic and brush it on after cooking. You could also add a little finely chopped coriander/cilantro.
Get the Easy Naan Bread Recipe (yeast free bread)
Quick and Easy Yeast-Free Naan Bread Recipe
- 250 g (2 cups) plain (all purpose) flour
- 250 g (1 1/4 cups) plain yogurt (or dairy free yogurt)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. You’ll probably need to use your hands to bring it all together. Knead it for a minute or so in the bowl until it comes together in a fairly sticky ball. If necessary, add a little more flour to make it manageable.
- Divide it into six equal pieces. Using a rolling pin dusted with flour, roll each one out onto a floured surface to about 6” diameter.
- Heat a frying pan (without oil) until hot. Cook each flatbread for a few minutes on each side until lightly golden spots appear and it puffs up.
- Best eaten on the same day. If making ahead, warm them up in the oven before serving.
Thanks for checking out my yeast free bread recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes and also easy vegan desserts.