This tasty, light and fluffy easy naan bread recipe is ready in just 15 minutes with 4 ingredients! Easily vegan, gluten-free and a quick yeast free bread.
Once you make these easy naan breads, I’m sure you’ll never want to buy pre-made ones again. They may not be completely authentic, but they’re light, fluffy and so quick to make.
I prefer to make my own simple naan bread rather than store bought. It’s cheaper and there are no unusual ingredients. Plus, my kids like to help roll them out. It’s a super quick yeast free bread that tastes delicious.
Rather than going for authenticity, this recipe focuses on making them fast. Just mix the four ingredients together, knead a few times, then roll out the dough and dry fry for a few minutes.
You could try adding in some flavourings, such as crushed garlic and chopped coriander to make them extra special. They’re perfect for mopping up your favourite curry. I often make them alongside my favourite red lentil dahl.
How to make Easy Naan Bread
You will need:
Plain Greek yogurt
Naan bread recipe tips:
- Versatile – you can use them as general flatbreads, for kebabs or falafel, or my halloumi souvlaki.
- Brush wet flavourings on after, such as garlic infused butter or herb/chilli oil
- Add dry spices to the dough, such as cumin, garam masala, sumac etc…
- This is a yeast free bread, so it’s very quick and easy!
- Get the pan very hot for best results – you want the naan breads to cook quickly
- Make them in a frying pan or griddle pan
- Make it gluten-free: swapping to your favourite gf flour and adjust the amount as it might absorb the yogurt differently.
- Make it vegan: Use dairy free yogurt, such as soy yogurt.
Step 1 – mix all ingredients together in a large bowl
Step 2 – Bring it all together into a dough
Step 3 – form into a ball of dough, then knead briefly.
Step 4 – Divide the dough into small balls, then roll each one into rounds
Then you just need to fry them in a hot dry frying pan until golden spots appear!
Get the Easy Naan Bread Recipe (yeast free bread)
Once you make this easy naan bread recipe, I’m sure you’ll never want to buy pre-made ones again. Just mix the four ingredients and knead them for a few minutes to bring it together, then roll it out and pan fry. It's a yeast free bread that's light, fluffy and tasty!
- 250 g plain flour (all purpose)
- 250 g plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. You’ll probably need to use your hands to bring it all together. Knead it for a minute or so in the bowl until it comes together in a fairly sticky ball. If necessary, add a little more flour to make it manageable.
- Divide it into six equal pieces. Using a rolling pin dusted with flour, roll each one out onto a floured surface to about 6” diameter.
- Heat a frying pan (without oil) until hot. Cook each flatbread for a few minutes on each side until lightly golden spots appear and it puffs up.
- Best eaten on the same day. If making ahead, warm them up in the oven before serving.
To make the naan breads vegan, use dairy free yogurt. You may need to add a little more flour.
Thanks for checking out my yeast free bread recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes and also easy vegan desserts.