This kale soup recipe is quick and easy. You only need 6 ingredients and 20 minutes! It’s vegetarian and gluten-free and easily vegan. This bright green soup is full of nourishing ingredients and tastes delicious. Only 150 calories per generous serving.
There are few things more nourishing than a hot bowl of thick and creamy blended kale soup. This recipe is quick and easy, and a great way to use up kale. And only 150 calories!
This soup tastes like a bowl full of goodness – and it is! The onion and garlic are sauteed so they’re soft and fragrant.
The potatoes are added and cooked with the soup. Once blended they make it rich, thick and creamy. Vegetable stock/broth gives the soup flavour and bulk and then kale is added for all of that green goodness.
I’ve added milk for creaminess. You can easily use dairy free milk to make this soup vegan and dairy free.
You only need store cupboard ingredients to go with it and soon you’ll have a dish of green goodness.
milk (dairy or non-dairy)
salt and pepper
- This recipe is naturally vegetarian and gluten-free.
- Make it vegan: swap the milk for non-dairy milk: soy milk, almond milk or hemp milk all work well.
- I like to jazz up my soup with soup toppers such as herby beans or a drizzle of cream and a sprinkling of seeds.
- If you’re looking for something to make this soup a bit heartier, try my garlic and herb skillet rolls or soft and fluffy milk rolls.
- Every time I make a batch of kale soup, the colour comes out different. It depends on how large a handful of kale you add, it’s freshness etc…
How to make Kale Soup
Step 1: To make this kale soup you simply need to sautee the garlic, onion and potatoes in a little oil for a few minutes until they soften.
Step 2: Then just add in the vegetable stock (broth) and let it cook for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Once that’s done, add the chopped kale and milk (dairy free for vegan) and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Step 4: Simmer the soup until the kale is soft.
Step 5: Blend with a blender or stick blender.
Then just tuck in! It’s rich and thick from the potatoes, with a vibrant green hue from the kale. I like to serve mine sprinkled with seeds for a bit of texture.
Other delicious soup recipes
What to serve with this kale soup recipe
Although this soup is delicious on it’s own, you could try it with my soda bread or cheesy herb rolls. If you’re short on time, you can whip up a batch of my yeast free naan bread recipe in minutes. It’s a tasty quick flatbread that’s cooked in a frying pan.
Get the Kale Soup recipe
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes and also easy vegan desserts.
Quick and Easy Creamy Kale Soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 750 ml (3 1/4 cups) vegetable stock/broth
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk or dairy free milk
- 2 large handfuls kale chopped
- black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the garlic, onion and potato. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until soft.
- Pour in the stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and kale and cook for 3 minutes or until the kale wilts slightly.
- Season with pepper. Use a handheld stick blender to puree the soup or transfer to a blender and whiz.
- Optional serving suggestion: serve with a drizzle of cream (or non-dairy cream) and a sprinkling of seeds.