Make this tasty homemade tomato ketchup recipe in only 15 minutes with store cupboard ingredients (and no refined sugar!).
Most kids seem to love commercial tomato sauce/ketchup, but it’s pretty high in sugar and salt.
However, you can easily make your this ketchup recipe at home with just a few store cupboard ingredients.
I like that I can control the salt and sugar, as well as add our favourite spices.
Tomato sauce is generally tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and spices so this version is similar to store-bought, but a bit better for you.
Reader Testimonials for this Ketchup Recipe
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐”I didn’t realise just how quick and easy was to make your own ketchup. It was really easy and the kids loved it.” – Kirsty
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐”I’ve never thought about making my own ketchup until I saw this on Facebook and it was really easy. I kept an old squirty ketchup container and put it in that.” – Hannah
Sugar Free Ketchup Recipe
Sugar Free: For this ketchup recipe, I’ve omitted the salt completely and used maple syrup instead of refined sugar.
I’ve tried and tested this recipe over and over to make sure it works perfectly and tastes great.
But feel free to tweak it to your personal tastes and preferences.
Why this is the BEST tomato ketchup recipe:
- It only takes 15 minutes
- You can control the amount of salt and sugar that’s in it (and leave them out!)
- It tastes much nicer as it’s fresh
- Adjust the spices to your taste
- It’s quick and easy
- Reduce the need for single-use plastic ketchup bottles
- Customise it with Sriracha hot sauce, chipotle paste or other flavours
- Will keep for up to 1 month in the fridge
There are so many ways to enjoy homemade tomato sauce!
This tasty tomato ketchup is perfect on Lentil Carrot Hot Dogs!
How to make ketchup
Makes 1 x 200ml bottle
tomato passata (or 2 cans plum tomatoes, blended until smooth)
apple cider vinegar
- Sautee the onions until translucent, then add the garlic.
- Add the passata, vinegar, syrup and spices and cook for 10 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Whiz in a blender or with a hand blender until smooth.
It’s really that easy! I love that I can make it without salt or refined sugar so it’s healthier than store bought.
Scroll down for the full recipe
Get the Homemade Tomato Ketchup Recipe
Did you make this tomato ketchup recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
Homemade Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 500 g (3 1/3 cups) tomato passata (or 2 cans plum tomatoes, blended until smooth)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- Add the oil to a frying pan over a medium/low heat and sautee the onions for a few minutes until translucent but not browned.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the tomato passata, vinegar, syrup and spices and allow to cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Whiz in a blender or with a hand blender until smooth. If it’s too thick, add a little water to thin. Pour into a sterilised jar and store in the fridge.