This decadent chocolate mousse has an earthy addition of pureed beetroot and is a perfect treat for Valentine’s Day. Beetroot and chocolate compliment each other so well, whether in cake, biscuits or even hot chocolate and this rich mousse pairs with beet fabulously creating a deep, dark flavour. Go on, put some veg in your pud.
- 1 cooked beetroot (approx 75g/ ⅓ cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 50g (1/3 cup) dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- Puree the beetroot until smooth and set aside.
- Separate the eggs and beat the whites until soft peaks form, add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave (checking frequently) or in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water (be careful not to let the bottom of the bowl touch the water). Quickly stir the egg yolks into the chocolate until combined. Add the beetroot puree and mix again. Gently fold the beet chocolate into the egg whites until combined. Pour into small serving dishes and chill 3-4 hours, or overnight, until set.