Enjoy this tasty sweet potato frittata for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! It’s full of nourishing ingredients with a hit of cheese. Ready in just 20 minutes, it’s a perfect gluten free midweek meal alongside a salad.
You say potato, I say, erm, frittata.
What is a frittata?
Fancy scrambled eggs, an open omelette, a crustless quiche? Well essentially it’s all of those – but so much more.
A frittata is an Italian egg dish that is similar to an omelette, Spanish tortilla or quiche. It consists of beaten egg and vegetables cooked in a frying pan until nearly set and then finished under the grill/broiler to cook the top.
To me, a frittata is a go-to fridge raider meal. Endlessly customisable, as long as you have eggs you can make a frittata. Use up leftovers, add spuds and any veggies that need to be used up and bingo: a family friendly dinner.
Sweet Potato Aspargus Frittata
Rather than standard potatoes, I’ve used sweet potatoes in this frittata. They add such a lovely flavour and a beautiful colour. I’m always tempted to bake a sweet potato – to me that’s the cooking method it’s made for. As the sweet juice leaks out of the orange tuber and caramelises and chars around the bottom of the roasting tin, I can’t wait to slice it open to reveal it’s soft and unctuous interior.
But sweet potatoes give us more than just an alternative to jacket potatoes. A stalwart of the veg cupboard, they can always be counted on to lend a bit of pizzazz to a meal. They create a golden crown to a shepherd’s pie; soft bites of deliciousness in a sweet potato salad. They make the sweetest chips that are akin to dessert and easy if you make spiralised sweet potato fries.
For this naturally gluten-free sweet potato and asparagus frittata, sweet potatoes not only look like ochre jewels within the blanket of fluffy egg, but they add a lovely sweetness that helps to make this dish even more appealing. The asparagus adds fresh spring flavour and a starburst of green colour.
How to make sweet potato frittata
You will need:
Step 1 – peel and thinly slice the sweet potato
Step 2 – cook the onion and sweet potato until soft and golden
Step 3 – Beat the eggs in a bowl or jug, then mix in the cheese, salt and pepper
Step 4 – Pour the egg mixture into the frying pan over the vegetables and arrange the asparagus on top. Cook on the stovetop until the base and edges begins to set, but the centre is still liquid.
Step 5 – Place the pan under a hot grill for a few more minutes until the top begins to puff up and is lightly browned
Get the Sweet Potato Frittata Recipe
Sweet Potato Frittata with Asparagus
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small sweet potato (about 150g) peeled and sliced thinly, slices halved
- 1 onion diced
- 6 eggs
- 50 g cheddar cheese grated
- salt and pepper
- 12 spears asparagus
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan and add the onion and sweet potato. Cook over a medium/low heat for about 8-10 mins until softened and golden.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl or jug, then mix in the cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour into the frying pan over the vegetables and arrange the asparagus on top.
- Cook on the stovetop over a medium/low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the base and edges begins to set, but the centre is still liquid.
Meanwhile, turn on the grill to heat it up.
- Place the pan under a hot grill for a few more minutes until the top begins to puff up and is lightly browned.
- Cut into wedges and enjoy warm or cold.