This vegan lentil soup is velvety smooth, creamy, nourishing and only has 7 ingredients! Ready in less than 25 minutes, it’s a one-pot high-protein, filling and delicious soup recipe.
This velvety lentil soup is bursting with nourishing ingredients (and only 7 of them!).
It’s quick and easy to make and the results are a lightly spiced, thick and creamy soup that just happens to be a vegan soup.
This lentil soup is filling enough to serve as a light dinner or perhaps alongside a sandwich or salad.
I love it on its own for a hearty and delicious lunch.
I served it with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and some mixed seeds for texture, taste and extra goodness, but of course, soup toppings are optional.
I tend to eat a lot of soup year-round.
It’s such a great way to use up seasonal vegetables or any veggies that are getting past their best.
It’s also super easy to make and there are myriad of flavours.
I usually have soup for lunch or dinner, but I’ll even happily tuck into a bowl of breakfast soup too!
They’re all really easy to make, vegan and full of tasty flavour. I also love this watercress soup from Jamie Oliver.
If you have leftover red lentils from this soup, then use them up for dinner with my awesome (if I do say so myself!) Lentil Dahl recipe.
Why is this the best vegan lentil soup?
- Creamy, thick, filling and nourishing
- Tastes delicious
- Easy and quick to make
- Only 7 ingredients
- A creamy blended lentil soup
- A healthy dairy-free soup
- One pot recipe
- Simple store cupboard ingredients
- How many calories in this lentil soup? 218 calories per bowl.
- How much protein? 11g per bowl.
- How many carbs are in this vegan lentil soup? 33g per bowl.
- Can I cook lentil soup in a crock pot or slow cooker? Yes! Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.
Storage and Freezing Tips
- How long does lentil soup last? Store it for up to 5 days, covered, in the fridge
- Can I freeze lentil soup? Yes. Freeze in single-serving portions for up to 3 months.
- Is it gluten free? Yes, this soup is naturally gluten free.
- Is it vegetarian lentil soup? Yes it is. You can use cow’s milk instead of vegan milk if you prefer.
- This is also vegan
How to make lentil soup – tutorial
Here’s a simple step by step tutorial so you can see how easy it is to make this delicious lentil soup. Scroll down for the full recipe.
Step 1 – Saute the onion in oil for a few minutes until soft.
2 – Stir in the carrot, lentils, stock/broth, cumin and milk (dairy free), and bring to the boil.
3 – Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft and cooked through. Puree with a blender, food processor or hand blender and serve.
Optional – serve topped with fresh herbs and seeds.
If you’re looking for more vegan soup recipes, be sure to check out my list of 25+ Vegan Soup Recipes!
>>>Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes and also easy vegan desserts.
Get the vegan lentil soup recipe
Vegan Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 medium carrots coarsely grated
- 3/4 cup (150g) dried red lentils uncooked
- 5 1/2 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock/broth
- 1/4 cup (100ml) milk dairy free, I used soy milk
- 1 tsp ground cumin
To serve (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Mixed seeds
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the carrots, lentils, stock, milk and cumin, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Puree with a hand held blender or food processor. Add more water to thin, if desired.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and optionally serve with chopped fresh parsley and mixed seeds.