This vegan lentil soup is velvety smooth, creamy, nourishing and only has 7 ingredients! Ready in less than 25 minutes, it’s a one-pot high-protein, filling and delicious soup recipe.
Vegan Lentil Soup
This velvety lentil soup is bursting with nourishing ingredients (and only 7 of them!). It’s quick and easy to make and the results are a lightly spiced, thick and creamy vegan soup. It’s filling enough to serve as a light dinner or perhaps alongside a sandwich or salad. I love it on it’s own for a hearty and delicious lunch.
I served it with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and some mixed seeds for texture, taste and extra goodness, but of course soup toppings are optional.
I tend to eat a lot of soup year-round. It’s such a great way to use up seasonal vegetables or any veggies that are getting past their best. It’s also super easy to make and there are myriad flavours. I usually have soup for lunch or dinner, but I’ll even happily tuck into a bowl of breakfast soup too!
Some of my favourite soups are Kale Soup, Easy Tomato Soup, Vegan Laksa, Mexican Bean Soup and Carrot Sweet Potato Soup. They’re all really easy to make, vegan and full of tasty flavour. I also love this watercress soup from Jamie Oliver.
If you have leftover red lentils from this soup, then use them up for dinner with my awesome (if I do say so myself!) Lentil Dahl recipe.
Why is this the best vegan lentil soup?
- Creamy, thick, filling and nourishing
- Tastes delicious
- Easy and quick to make
- Only 7 ingredients
- A creamy blended lentil soup
- A healthy dairy-free soup
- One pot recipe
- Simple store cupboard ingredients
- How long does lentil soup last? Store it for up to 5 days, covered, in the fridge
- Can I freeze lentil soup? Yes. Freeze in single serving portions for up to 3 months.
- How many calories in this lentil soup? 218 calories per bowl.
- How much protein is in this lentil soup? 11g per bowl.
- How many carbs are in this vegan lentil soup? 33g per bowl.
- Can I cook lentil soup in a crock pot or slow cooker? Yes! Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.
- Is it gluten free lentil soup? Yes, this soup is naturally gluten free.
- Is it vegetarian lentil soup? Yes it is. You can use cow’s milk instead of vegan milk if you prefer.
How to make lentil soup – tutorial
Here’s a simple step by step tutorial so you can see how easy it is to make this delicious lentil soup. Scroll down for the full recipe.
How to make lentil soup: Step 1 – Saute the onion in oil for a few minutes until soft.
Step 2 – Stir in the carrot, lentils, stock/broth, cumin and milk (dairy free), and bring to the boil.
Step 3 – Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft and cooked through. Puree with a blender, food processor or hand blender and serve.
Optional – serve topped with fresh herbs and seeds.
>>>>Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
Get the vegan lentil soup recipe
Vegan Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 medium carrots coarsely grated
- 150 g (3/4 cup) red lentils
- 1 litre (5 1/2 cups) vegetable stock/broth
- 100 ml (1/4 cup) milk dairy free, I used soy milk
- 1 tsp ground cumin
To serve (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Mixed seeds
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the carrots, lentils, stock, milk and cumin, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Puree with a hand held blender or food processor. Add more water to thin, if desired.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and optionally serve with chopped fresh parsley and mixed seeds.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes and also easy vegan desserts.