This pumpkin cocktail combines winter spices, pumpkin puree and rum! It’s a creamy and delicious cocktail – with veg!
Christmas doesn’t end until New Year’s Eve in my house. We continue picking at the carcass of the Christmas cake, digging the last of the pistachios from the discarded nut shells (what sort of BARBARIAN leaves the shells in the dish????) and start reintroducing the green smoothies to counteract the shame of the heaving glass recycling bin until we see in the New Year.
NYE is my daughter’s birthday so by then Christmas will be replaced by the tears and laughter of a 2nd birthday party. Until then, however, I shall continue with a few sneaky treats such as this spiced milk punch with added wintery spices and pureed pumpkin. Vegetable cocktails. Now THAT’s the way to ease the guilt of excess.
- 4 tbsp pumpkin puree (tinned, or steam ½ a fresh pumpkin or squash until tender, then puree)
- 500ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp caster sugar, or to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1-2 shots of dark rum, to taste
- Whizz all ingredients, except the alcohol, in a blender until frothy.
- Gently heat in a saucepan until hot, then stir in the dark rum and serve.