Courgette Cake with Lemon Drizzle
This moist courgette (zucchini) cake is a great way to use up seasonal courgettes. I’ve used minimal sugar in the sponge, so much of the sweetness comes from the drizzle. The flavour of the courgette fades away beneath the zingy lemon, but leaves pretty flecks of green.
Easily vegan and gluten free.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
Total Time1 hr 25 mins
- oil - for greasing
- 350 g (3 cups) courgette (zucchini) raw, approximately 1-2 medium
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 free-range eggs
- 100 g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 300 g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ tsp sea salt
For the lemon glaze
- 85 g (3/4 cup) powdered icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- lemon zest to decorate
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/350F. Grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin and line with baking paper.
Coarsely grate the unpeeled raw courgettes (in a box grater or food processor). Lightly squeeze the gratings in a clean tea towel to remove a little of the moisture.
In a large bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, sugar, zest and juice together until smooth, then stir in the courgette. Sift in the flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt and gently combine.
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 75 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin completely.
- Suitable for freezing
- Make it vegan: use flax eggs
- Make it gluten-free: use gluten free flour and baking powder
Calories: 308kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 186mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 2.4% | Vitamin C: 8.3% | Calcium: 3.7% | Iron: 9.5%