Cheesy Courgette Fritters
Fritters are a quick and easy way to eat more veggies and use up courgettes (zucchini). The outside is crispy and inside it's cheesy and fluffy. Great as a side dish, lunch, snack or even breakfast. Ready in just 20 minutes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 250 g - 9oz - courgette (zucchini) approximately 1 courgette
- 2 large eggs
- 50 g - 1/2 cup - grated cheddar cheese
- 100 g - 3/4 cup - plain flour (all purpose flour)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
To serve (optional):
- Sour cream and chopped chives
- Sweet chilli sauce
Coarsely grate the raw unpeeled courgette, then gently squeeze out some of the moisture in a clean tea towel.
Add the grated courgette, eggs and cheese to a large bowl, then mix well.
Add the flour and salt and gently combine.
Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then drop in heaped tablespoonfuls of the mixture. Cook for a few minutes until golden, turn and cook the other side. Repeat to use up the remaining batter, adding more oil as necessary.
Serve warm with sour cream and chives and/or sweet chilli sauce.
- Make it vegan: use a flax egg (for each egg, stir 1tbsp ground flax into 3 tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes to become gelatinous) and vegan cheese (or a tbsp of nutritional yeast)
- Make it gluten-free: use gluten free flour
- Freezable: freeze the cooked courgette fritters and reheat in a frying pan or oven
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 405mg | Potassium: 232mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 370IU | Vitamin C: 11.2mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 1.9mg