Easy Baked Beans with Turmeric
An easy homemade baked beans recipe, using store cupboard ingredients. A healthy and delicious version of the classic.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Bean cooking time1 hr
Total Time25 mins
- 300 g dried haricot/navy beans soaked overnight in cold water (or 2 x 400ml (14 oz) tins of haricot /navy beans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 x 400ml (14 oz tins) chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 1 vegetable stock cube crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
If using dried beans: drain and rinse the soaked beans, then put in a large pan of water to cover and bring to the boil. Drain then return to the pan, cover with water and boil for about an hour or until tender. Drain and rinse.
Add all ingredients, including the cooked or canned beans, to a large pan over a medium-low heat.
Bring just to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Check frequently so it doesn't scorch and stir gently so as not to break up the beans. It may be necessary to add water to stop it from scorching.
- Leave out the turmeric if you don't like it
- Use 1 x 400g/150z can of drained beans instead to make it faster
Serving: 6g | Calories: 65kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 3g | Sodium: 351mg | Potassium: 408mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 240IU | Vitamin C: 14.1mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2.1mg