Mexican Bean Soup
This easy vegan Mexican Bean Soup is a hearty bowl full of flavour. It's rammed with beans and veggies, and is deliciously spiced and warming. The best thing is you can make this recipe in just 15 minutes!
Prep Time3 mins
Cook Time12 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans 400g/15oz cans mixed beans, rinsed and drained (or 450g Birds Eye frozen Mexican bean mix)
- 600 ml (2 1/2 cups) vegetable stock/broth
- 400 g (15 oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 6 tbsp canned or frozen sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp tomato paste/puree
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes or to taste
- Salt and pepper
To serve (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Avocado sliced
- Dried chilli flakes
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, then add the onion and cook, stirring often for 3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent but not browned.
Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
Stir in the beans, stock, chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, corn, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, oregano and chilli powder.
Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Serve in bowls, optionally topped with coriander/cilantro, lime wedges, avocado and chilli flakes.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is created with online calculators. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Save the hassle of chopping onion and garlic - use frozen pre-chopped.
- Adjust the heat to your liking. Mine is fairly mild, so add more if you like it spicy.
- Make it a full meal with corn on the cob, salsa and nachos and other Mexican foods.
- I love adding toppings to soup - add avocado, cilantro/coriander, a wedge of lime or even grilled corn, more pulses or crispy tortillas.
- This soup is freezer friendly.
- This soup is vegan and gluten-free.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 541mg | Potassium: 611mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1315IU | Vitamin C: 41.6mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 3mg