Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
This thick, fluffy and tangy Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting is AMAZING! It's dairy free, easy to make in minutes and tastes delicious. The recipe has no nuts or tofu. Perfect on cupcakes, cake, cookies and more!
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
- 115 g (½ cup) vegetable shortening (or vegan margarine)
- 225 g (8oz) vegan cream cheese
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 400 g (4 cups) powdered icing sugar
Beat the vegetable shortening (or softened vegan butter) and dairy free cream cheese together with an electric mixer for a few minutes until smooth and fluffy, then beat in the lemon juice.
Sift in the powdered sugar, 1/2 a cup at a time, beating well before adding more.
Add the vanilla and beat for a few minutes until smooth and fluffy. If it's starting to go runny, stop and put it in the fridge to firm up.
Note: Different types of vegan cream cheese react differently, so adjust the amount of powdered sugar needed until you get a nice thick consistency. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired.
Keep in the fridge until ready to frost completely cooled cake or cupcakes. Once frosted, keep cakes or cupcakes in the fridge.
- I used vegetable shortening as it’s pure white in colour, (Crisco, Trex) but you can also use vegan butter/margarine. The icing is best if you take the butter out of the fridge for at least an hour to soften (no need to if using vegetable shortening).
- If you don’t have an electric mixer or stand mixer, you can make it by hand but it will just take a bit more elbow grease.
- You can skip sifting in the powdered sugar, but just be sure to beat the frosting until no lumps remain.
- If you want a thinner drizzly icing, use a bit less sugar, or add a tablespoon of vegan milk (almond, soy etc..) until you get the desired consistency.
- For a thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar.
- This batch is perfect for 12 cupcakes or frosting the middle layer and top of a layer cake.
- The frosting will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Ensure cake or cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting.
- Keep frosted cake or cupcakes in the fridge.
- If you need to make your cake or cupcakes ahead of time, don’t frost them until the same day you’ll be serving.
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 73mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 0.2mg