Homemade Granola with Chocolate and Coconut
Homemade granola is easy and tasty! This healthy vegan granola recipe only takes 30 mins and tastes amazing. Optional add ins of dark chocolate chunks and flakes of coconut make it extra special.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups 200 g rolled oats
- 3/4 cup 75g shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup 75g unsalted mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp mixed seeds I used pumpkin, hemp, sesame and linseeds
- 1/3 cup 50g dark chocolate, chopped into chunks (or chocolate chips)
- 4 tbsp flaked coconut
Preheat oven to 150C / 300F. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
In a small pan over a med/low heat (or in a microwave), melt the maple syrup and coconut oil together. Remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder and vanilla. Allow to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, add the oats, coconut, nuts and seeds and stir. Pour in the syrup mixture and mix it all together really well.
Spread it all out in thin layers on the baking sheets and bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure that it cooks evenly.
Leave the granola to cool - it will harden and crisp up on the tray. When it’s cool, stir in the dark chocolate chunks and flaked coconut. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- If you don't have maple syrup you can swap in honey (not vegan) or other liquid sweetener.
- Store in an airtight container, not refrigerated, for up to 2 months.
- Once the granola is made and cooled, it can be frozen. Just store it in a sealed container (bag, tub, jar) in the freezer for up to six months.
- This recipe is naturally vegan, dairy free, egg free and soy free (but check the chocolate for soy).
- Make it gluten free: use certified gluten free oats to make this gluten free (and check the chocolate for traces of gluten)
- Use whatever selection of nuts and seeds you have (chia, flax, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds etc..)
Calories: 217kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 174mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1.5mg