These easy vegan waffles are crispy on the outside and fluffy inside and take just 20 mins + 6 ingredients. Eggless, dairy free, easily gluten free recipe.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 2 cups (475ml) dairy free milk (I used almond, but soy etc.. all work)
- 2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar - white or apple cider
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar or maple syrup optional
- cooking spray or cooking oil
Add the soy milk (or other dairy free milk) to a mixing bowl and stir in the lemon juice or vinegar. Leave to thicken slightly into ‘buttermilk’ for 5 minutes.
Stir in the oil and vanilla, then sift in the flour and baking powder. Add the sugar (if using) and mix it all well. Set aside (while the waffle iron heats, the batter will thicken).
Preheat a waffle iron and spray with cooking oil spray (or you could brush with oil lightly).
Pour batter into the waffle iron (the amount will depend on your waffle machine) and cook until golden.
Serve immediately, with maple syrup, vegan yogurt and fresh fruit or any other toppings you like!
Tips and tricks for making the best vegan waffles
- I find that vegan waffles don't darken as much as traditions versions with eggs. So just cook them until they're lightly golden and cooked through, but don't overcook them to get them dark.
- The time you cook them will depend on your waffle maker. They will likely take 4-6 minutes, but just keep checking them!
- You can use any dairy free milk - I used almond, but soy, hemp, hazelnut, cashew, oat etc... all work perfectly.
- It's the oil in the batter that makes waffles crispy so you can't omit it! But you can make them with coconut oil instead.
- Want them gluten free? Just use gluten free flour and baking powder.
Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Sodium: 748mg | Potassium: 319mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 268mg | Iron: 3.1mg