This tartare sauce is so quick, easy and flavourful that you'll never buy it from the store again! It takes just a few minutes for this homemade recipe and the fresh ingredients make a HUGE difference to the taste.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time0 mins
Total Time5 mins
- 1 cup (250g) mayonnaise (or dairy free vegan mayonnaise)
- 2 tbsp capers rinsed and chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped pickles / gherkins / cornichons all work well
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp pickling juice from the capers or pickles gherkins
- ¼ tsp mustard powder optional
- Sea salt and black pepper
Tips and Tricks
How to enjoy this Tartare Sauce:
- Swap the parsley for fresh chopped dill for a slightly different flavor.
- Instead of pickle juice, use lemon or lime juice.
- Lighten this sauce by using half mayo and half plain Greek yogurt (or their vegan alternatives).
- No capers? Just use a little extra pickle/gherkin.
- Use any type of pickles: little cornichons (the tiny cocktail pickles), Kosher dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, sliced pickles - any work well!
Calories: 102kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 144mg | Potassium: 3mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 0.1mg