The Best Vegan Vanilla Cake with Berries
This really is the BEST vegan vanilla cake. It's light, fluffy and delicious. With no unusual ingredients, you can quickly and easily make this fantastic cake.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
For the vegan vanilla cake
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 150 g (2/3 cup) dairy-free butter / margarine
- 5 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 275 g (2 1/4 cups) plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 175 g (3/4 cups) caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the vegan vanilla frosting (double to cover the sides as well)
- 75 g (1/3 cup) dairy-free margarine/butter
- 250 g (2 cups) powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 handful berries fresh or frozen
Preheat the oven to 180° C/160° C fan/Gas mark 4 (350F). Lightly grease 2 x 20cm/8inch round baking pans.
Stir the lemon juice into the non-dairy milk and set aside.
In a pan over a medium heat, melt the vegan butter and syrup together. Set aside to cool slightly.
Sieve the flour, caster sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl.
Pour the milk (which will have curdled slightly into ‘buttermilk’), vanilla and melted spread mixture over the flour mixture and stir well until it becomes a smooth runny batter.
Divide the mixture between the two prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. If the cakes are darkening too much, cover them loosely with foil.
Allow the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, to make the icing beat together all ingredients until smooth. Add more milk or powdered sugar if necessary to get a thick frosting consistency.
When the cakes are completely cold, sandwich together with half of the icing. Spread the remaining icing over the top of the cake and decorate with the berries.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is created with online calculators. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Don't over-mix the batter when adding the wet ingredients to dry. Combine well, but don't beat.
- Add 1 tsp of cinnamon to the frosting for a wintery flavour or the zest of a lemon for something zingy. You could also try my vegan cream cheese frosting.
- Freezable: you can freeze the un-frosted cakes for up to 1 month
- Increase the ingredients by an extra 50% for a three layer cake
- Turn this into vegan cupcakes by filling the cups of a lined muffin pan and bake for 15-20 mins.
Calories: 367kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 359mg | Potassium: 137mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 720IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1.2mg