Vegan Slow Cooker Lentil Stew with Harissa
This vegan slow cooker lentil stew with harissa is aromatic, lightly spiced and full of flavour. It's easy, vegan, gluten free and a perfect Crock Pot recipe.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 15 mins
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 carrots finely diced
- 2 onions diced
- 3 celery sticks diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 tsp harissa paste (optional) depending on how spicy you want it
- 2 tbsp tomato paste/puree
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes (400g/15oz)
- 750 ml vegetable broth/stock
- 500 g green lentils rinsed and drained
- 1/2 savoy cabbage (or kale) shredded
- small handful of fresh baby spinach leaves
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
Slow Cooker instructions
Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the carrots, onions and celery without colouring until softened. Stir in the garlic and cumin and continue to sauté for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
Transfer the contents to the slow cooker bowl.
Add the harissa paste, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, lentils and stock, and stir well
Cover and cook on Low for 7-8 hours or High for 6-7 hours.
1/2 hour before the end of the cooking time, stir in the shredded cabbage and continue to cook until the end of the chosen time.
If using kale, stir it in now and let it soften. Add the spinach, lemon zest, seasoning and serve.
Heat the oil in a large pan and sautee the carrots, onions and celery without colouring until softened. Stir in the garlic and cumin and continue to sauté for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
Add the harissa paste, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, lentils, cabbage and stock, and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer or 20 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are soft.
If using kale and/or spinach, stir it in 5 minutes before the end. Add the lemon zest, seasoning and serve.
- This recipe freezes well.
- Try adding diced peeled potatoes to make it even heartier.
- If you like spice, but don't have harissa, then add in a teaspoon or two of dried chilli flakes.
- You can make lots of swaps for this Lentil Stew.
- Try adding whatever root vegetables you have. For softer vegetables (like zucchini or eggplant) add them close to the end of the cooking time.
- suitable for slow cooker or stovetop cooking methods.
Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 572mg | Potassium: 1104mg | Fiber: 23g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4820IU | Vitamin C: 34.5mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 6.5mg