Easy Vegan Peanut Stew Recipe
Make this hearty stew in just 25 minutes! The vegetables, kidney beans and tomatoes are enlivened with cumin, turmeric and chilli, then the peanut butter gives it a lovely creaminess and great flavour.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 handfuls cauliflower florets (fresh or frozen) cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 handfuls broccoli florets (fresh or frozen) cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 handful spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can plum tomatoes
- 350 ml vegetable stock
- 1 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp peanut butter smooth or crunchy
To garnish (optional)
- 2 spring onions scallions, chopped
- handful parsley roughly chopped
- handful peanuts roughly chopped
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the onion and fry until translucent but not browned.
Add the garlic and ginger, and fry for a further minute.
Add the cauliflower, broccoli (if using frozen cauliflower and broccoli, run under warm water for a minute or two to thaw and then cut into bite sized pieces), carrots, spinach, stock, beans, tomatoes (break them up slightly with a spoon) and spices, then stir well to combine. Bring to boil then reduce the heat and and simmer 15 minutes or until the vegetable are cooked, stirring occasionally.
Add the peanut butter and stir well. Season with salt and pepper and cook for a further minute.
Serve garnished with spring onions, peanuts and parsley.
Calories: 164kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 458mg | Potassium: 308mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6120IU | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1.2mg