Beetroot chocolate protein balls are healthy, have veg in them and they’re easy-to-make and easy-to-eat. The protein balls are filled with goodness courtesy of oats and protein-rich peanut butter and for the vegetable in this recipe I’ve added beets – always a delicious bedfellow for chocolate. Roll them in coconut, cacao, linseeds, anything you have to hand.
I’ll admit it: I’ve hit the chocolate pretty hard this Christmas. And my mum’s brandy-soaked Christmas cake kept me evenly hammered over the Yuletide season. But I can’t just pass up the remnants of the Quality Street tin cold turkey (boom boom), so I’ll need a small healthy hit of chocolate every day to get back to my usual relatively good diet. Exit the toffee pennies, enter the protein ball.
My little ones need a bit of a detox as well. I need to put an end to the wild-eyed pleading for another chocolate penny as they rabidly run about, high on sugar, paper-tearing euphoria and the off-gassing of new toys and leftover sprouts.
These easy-to-make, easy-to-eat protein balls are filled with goodness courtesy of oats and protein-rich peanut butter and for the vegetable in this recipe I’ve added beets – always a delicious bedfellow for chocolate. I prefer mine rolled in milled linseeds for a bit of extra goodness, but also try cocoa powder, coconut or chopped nuts. Store them in the fridge or freezer for a quick treat for both adults and kids.
Happy New Year x
- 75g (2/3 cup) rolled oats
- 1 cooked, cooled beetroot (about 75g)
- 125g (1/2 cup) peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon skimmed milk powder or protein powder
- Coconut, cocoa powder, milled linseeds etc… for rolling
- In a food processor, whiz the oats until they are fine. Add all other ingredients and combine. Roll into teaspoon-sized balls, roll in coconut, cocoa etc… and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
I made this recipe in my amazing Froothie Optimum 9400 high-speed blender. I’m an ambassador for the brand, so if you mention Veggie Desserts when you order, you’ll get two years free warranty.