This apple cider cake with salted cider caramel drizzle uses delicious apple cider to create an extra-special apple cake!
Scroll down for the recipe and your chance to win Thatchers Haze cider and a deckchair (UK entrants over 18)!
I’ve been working with Thatchers Cider this year, discovering how well food and cider pair together. Hint: it’s fantastic! In past posts I’ve looked at cider and food pairing, cheese and cider pairing, and wrote about 75 recipe ideas for a cider pairing dinner party. I hope you’ve enjoyed coming with me on my cider journey and that you’ll be hosting cider pairing parties of your own.
For this post, instead of pairing cider with food, I’ve used it as the star ingredient in a moist and decadent Apple Cider Cake with Salted Cider Caramel Drizzle. I’ve soaked chunks of apple in cider (I used Thatchers Gold – a medium/dry sparkling cider) and then put both in the batter of this moist apple cake. I’ve then used some more cider as the base of a moreish salted cider caramel to drizzle over it.
If you throw a cider pairing dinner party, this cake would be the perfect dessert!
- 1 eating apple, washed and cored, but unpeeled, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 175ml (¾ cup) good quality medium dry cider (I used Thatcher’s Gold)
- 125g (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 125g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 2 free-range organic eggs
- 175g (1 ½ cups) plain (all purpose) flour
- 60g (½ cup) wholemeal plain flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 250g (1 ⅓ cup) sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) water
- 3 tablespoons good quality apple cider (I used Thatchers Gold)
- 150ml (½ cup) double (heavy) cream
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Soak the apple chunks in the cider while preparing the other ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and lightly grease an 18cm (7in) cake tin.
- In a stand mixer or with an electric whisk, cream together the butter and sugar for a few minutes until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, both flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, and mix to combine.
- Add the apple (along with the cider it was soaked in), to the batter and gently stir to combine, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the salted cider caramel:
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan over a medium heat, stirring gently until it bubbles and the sugar dissolves. Add the cider and, without stirring, boil the mixture for about 5-7 minutes until it is a golden colour. If necessary, scrape the sides down with a rubber spatula, but don’t stir.
- Remove from the heat and stir the cream into the sauce until combined. Be careful, it will bubble up considerably and could splurt at you like molten caramel lava. Stir in the salt. Pour into a sterilized jar and allow to cool.
- Drizzle the cooled salted cider caramel over the cake and serve.
Thatchers have a range of vegan, gluten-free ciders that are all made with love and care at their apple farm in Somerset. They use traditional techniques and the expertise they’ve honed since 1904 to craft the finest range of Somerset ciders. Four generations of cider-making later, they’ve created some exceptional ciders on their 400 acres of apple orchards.
To be in with a chance of winning a case of Thatchers Haze and a Thatchers Haze deckchair, all you have to do is enter via the Rafflecopter widget below. This giveaway is open to UK entrants aged over 18 only and runs until midnight on 30 August 2016. The winner’s age will be verified.
Enter my other giveaways, including a 6-person tent RRP £400, baking equipment and cookbooks!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Terms and conditions:
The winner will be announced on the Rafflecopter widget after the prize has been claimed.
There is 1 prize of a Thatchers Haze Deckchair and a case of Thatchers Haze Cider.
There is no cash alternative and the prize is not transferable.
This giveaway is open to UK entrants aged over 18 only and runs until midnight on 30 August 2016.
The winner will be picked at random and then contacted via email.
Veggie Desserts, as the promoter, reserves the right to cancel or amend the giveaway and these terms and conditions without notice.
If the winner doesn’t respond to the email within 5 days, another winner will be picked.
The prize will be delivered to the winner as soon as possible by the supplier directly.
Disclosure: Thatchers commissioned this post and provided the giveaway prize. All opinions are my own.