Pistachio avocado ice cream is easy to make, naturally creamy and full of goodness and flavour. It’s a gorgeous green colour and tasty!
I love these warm days at the end of the summer. I can sit in the garden with a cup of coffee and read the papers in the warm sunshine. Oh, wait, I’ve got two toddlers. In the warm sunshine I run back and forth from the garden to the house fetching things, trying to stop them ‘weeding’ my flowers, breaking up barneys and cleaning little bottoms. As for the coffee, it’s cold. The papers? Three weeks old.
But in the mayhem, it’s nice to give them a cold treat. As a change from our usual lazy staple of small pots of yogurt frozen with a stick in them, I like to make this healthy version of ice cream. It’s easy to make it vegan, and it’s a simple recipe. Avocado ice cream is easy to make and full of goodness.
Get the recipe for pistachio avocado ice cream
- 100g (3/4 cup) raw, unsalted, shelled pistachios – soaked overnight
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- Rub the skins from the soaked pistachios and discard.
- Puree the pistachios and lime juice with a hand held blender or in a food processor until smooth. Be patient, it can take a little while. Once smooth, add in the avocado flesh, honey and vanilla and then blend again until smooth.
- Blend in the milk sparingly until it is a nice mousse-like consistency.
- Pour into a shallow container and freeze, stirring occassionally.
- Remove from the freezer ten minutes before serving.