These baked lemon spinach doughnuts are bright green, but taste just like lemon. The flavour of the spinach fades, leaving that amazing colour and some extra goodness in the doughnuts.
Commissioned by Discover Veg.
These baked lemon spinach doughnuts are bright green, but taste just like lemon doughnuts. The flavour of the spinach fades, leaving that amazing colour and some extra goodness in the doughnuts.
I’ll admit that I eat a LOT of spinach. No need for Popeye puns, I’m happy to espouse my love of spinach to anyone who’ll listen. I’m one of those people who needs to have greens at every meal, and spinach is my go-to leafy green.
However, I know some people don’t like those dark green, nutritious leaves (fools). That’s when we need to get creative. That’s when we need to add them to doughnuts!
I don’t tend to sneak veggies into my vegetable cakes and desserts. Rather, I’m loud and proud about the added vegetables. I like to tell people that they can have their cake and eat it – and enjoy it as well. Then, next time they don’t want to eat the veg, I can remind them how they loved it in cake. That’s the trick I use on my kids.
I’ve used spinach in shortbread cookies, coconut spinach cake, and my vegetable dessert cookbook has it in a strawberry and spinach Swiss roll. I love how the flavour of spinach fades in a dessert – but leaves it a vivid green colour and adds a little extra goodness.
We all know that spinach is good for us, right? It’s versatile, delicious, healthy and great value. I always keep a bag in the fridge so I can instantly add green goodness to meals. It’s inexpensive and tasty.
This easy leafy green has a lot to offer. It’s rich in folate and a source of vitamins A and C. It’s always easy to get hold of, and you can even keep a stash in the freezer to make sure you’ve got some to hand.
Discover Spinach, part of the Discover Great Veg campaign, has been devised to build awareness of the versatility, taste, value and relevant health benefits of spinach. Find out more at Discover Spinach or follow them on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
Get the recipe for Baked Lemon Spinach Doughnuts with Lemon Glaze
If you make any of my recipes, please tag it with #veggiedesserts on Instagram or other social media. I LOVE seeing your recreations of my recipes.
And please head down to comment and rate the recipe if you’ve tried it!
Baked Lemon Spinach Doughnuts with Lemon Glaze
- 100 g (3 cups) raw spinach leaves
- 250 ml milk
- 1 lemon , used for both the doughnuts and glaze
- 115 g granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g plain flour (all purpose)
- 3 tsp baking powder
For the glaze
- 125 g icing sugar (confectioner's)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice from above
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan/325F/gas mark3. Lightly grease a doughnut pan with oil.
- Add the spinach to a pan and heat until wilted. Run under cold water to refresh, drain and squeeze out excess moisture. Add the spinach and milk to a tall container and puree well with a hand held stick blender.
- Zest and juice the lemon, then set aside. They will be used for both the batter and glaze.
- In a large bowl, beat the spinach puree, 1 tsp of zest, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, sugar, cooled melted butter, egg and vanilla together. Sift in the flour and baking powder and gently combine.
- Fill the doughnut molds with the batter until nearly full and bake for 15 minutes or until springy and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes, then carefully remove from the pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
For the glaze,
- Mix the powdered sugar with 1 ½ tbsp of the lemon juice. Add more juice (or water), sparingly, if needed to achieve a thick but pourable consistency. Drizzle over the completely cooled doughnuts and sprinkle with a little zest.
More creative spinach recipes
If you’re looking for more spinach desserts, try my Spinach Coconut Yogurt Cake, Strawberry and Spinach Shortcakes, sweet spinach Yorkshire puddings with roasted black pepper strawberries, or spinach vanilla cake.
See, I told you I love spinach! Tell me about your favourite spinach recipes in the comments.
Disclosure: This recipe for Baked Lemon Spinach Doughnuts was commissioned by Discover Spinach. Thanks for supporting the brands that make it possible for me to write Veggie Desserts: vegetable cakes, healthy food and lifestyle.