These healthier blueberry yogurt muffins are a lighter version of the classic, plus they’re full of courgettes/zucchini.
A record-breaking heatwave makes for a fabulous holiday in Cornwall. Beach, paddling pool, bbq. Repeat. The holiday was relaxing without any major dramas, except that within two minutes of each other, 3-year-old son picked up a jellyfish and 18-month-old daughter was knocked over in the sea by a sprinting Whippet.
We survived the six (6!) hour journey home with two little ones through a steady stream of snacks and role-play with Toy Story dolls and plastic dinosaurs. Yeesh. Now we’re home and it’s time to get off the ice-cream/booze rollercoaster. My lovely mum had restocked our fridge for our return with essentials: milk and blueberries.
Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
So here’s the vegetable dessert recipe for a healthier version of blueberry muffins. Yogurt and applesauce replace the oil and for the veggies I’ve added courgette (zucchini to you North Americans).
Courgette (Zucchini) Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
- 125g courgette
- 250g plain Greek yogurt
- 5 tablespoons applesauce (or vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 270g plain flour
- 125g sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb of soda
- pinch of salt
- 100g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Grate the courgette (don't peel it) then wring out any excess moisture in a clean tea towel or kitchen roll and set aside.
- Toss the blueberries in a tablespoon of the flour to coat them and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir to combine the yogurt, applesauce (or oil), milk, eggs, vanilla and courgette.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarb and salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes in the tray and then allow to cool fully on a wire rack.
Looking for more vegetable muffins?
Pin for Later!