Make this easy cheesy vegan parmesan cheese in just 5 minutes! You only need cashews plus spices, then to whiz them to form a crumbly meal. Sprinkle it on pasta, pizza, salads, popcorn and more. Don’t like cashews? I give alternative ingredients too.
Make this Easy Cheesy Vegan Parmesan Cheese with just a handful of ingredients and 5 minutes!
It has a lovely flavour and texture that’s perfect for salad, pasta, pizza, popcorn and so much more. I’ve been making this for sooo long and always have a jar in my fridge. I love how it lifts many dishes – like vegan shepherds pie or vegan caesar salad. It would be great on courgetti with lentil meatballs (vegan gluten free) too.
Many people don’t realise that standard parmesan isn’t even vegetarian. To make it, they use animal rennet rendering it not safe for veggies. As for vegans, obviously with the milk it won’t be vegan at all.
However, veggies and vegans don’t have to miss out. My cashew parmesan packs a savoury flavour punch to liven up meals.
I’ve tried store bought vegan parmesan, but I most definitely prefer this version. It doesn’t melt at all, but does bring a wonderful savoury flavour to many dishes.
Ingredients for Vegan Parmesan
You will need:
Nutritional yeast flakes (easily found in supermarkets and health food shops)
Onion powder (in the spice aisle)
Garlic powder (in the spice aisle)
Ground turmeric (optional, but adds colour)
What is Nutritional Yeast?
Nutritional yeast is made of flakes of dried inactive yeast that looks rather like fish food. However, it’s really good for you. The vegan condiment has a cheesy flavour and is full of B vitamins, folic acid, zinc and B12.
It’s actually very tasty and I love using it on soups, stews, casseroles and salads. You just sprinkle it onto hot of cold food and enjoy. It’s best not to heat it too much to preserve the health benefits, so just add it at the end.
Substitutions for vegan parmesan
- No cashews? Try it with almonds,
- No blender or food processor? Use almond meal (ground almonds) and stir in the other ingredients well.
- I’d recommend using the nutritional yeast, as omitting it that will affect the cheesy flavour
- You can leave out the ground turmeric. I like to use it for colour and extra health benefits, but your cashew parmesan will taste fine without it.
How to make vegan parmesan
How to use vegan cashew parmesan cheese
I always have a batch of this crumbly cashew parmesan in the fridge and use it in many ways, including:
Get the Vegan Parmesan Cheese Recipe
Easy Cheesy Vegan Parmesan
- 2/3 cup (75g) raw unsalted cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground turmeric
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender. Process until it forms a fine crumb, but take care not to overprocess or it will turn creamy.
- Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 1 month.