This kale and ale slow cooker stew is bursting with flavour from fresh thyme and paprika. This vegan stew is hearty and filled with vegetables.
Kale and Ale Stew
Kale and ale. I mean, we’re on to a rhyming winner here, aren’t we? Sure, it’s got kale and ale, but it’s also filled with butternut squash, butterbeans, paprika and loads of fresh thyme. The ale gives it a wonderful depth of flavour, paired nicely with the aromatic thyme and smokey paprika. I love a warming stew and making it in the slow cooker means it’s easy, can be ignored, and the ingredients all gently mingle into a fragrant mixture of flavours and textures.
Slow Cooker Challenge
Recently, Crock-Pot challenged me, alongside a few of my fellow food bloggers, to each come up with one ingredient to put into a Collective Crock slow cooker recipe. I added kale (of course!) and here’s the list:
As a vegetarian, I’ve adapted the recipe to turn it into this vegan kale and ale stew.
Get the recipe for Kale and Ale Stew
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 200ml brown ale
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced into chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced into chunks
- 200g shredded kale
- 400g Butter or cannellini beans
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pour the vegetable oil into a frying pan and add the sliced onion and cook over a medium heat for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, paprika and thyme and continue to cook for a further minute. Increase the heat.
- Pour in the brown ale and allow to bubble and reduce, sprinkle over the flour and stir well over a low heat. Add the puree, tomatoes and stock.
- Pour into the slow cooker bowl along with the squash and sweet potato, stir well and cover with the lid. Cook on Low for 6 hours or High for 4-5 hours.
- Add the kale and beans 1 hour before the cooking time has elapsed.
Pin for later!
Disclosure: Crock Pot sponsored this post. All opinions are my own.