These pumpkin cinnamon rolls are fragrant and quick to make! The cinnamon is mixed with pumpkin puree to add extra flavour and veg.
Quick Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
In a flurry of energy (read: too much coffee), I cleaned out all of the cupboards the other day. There was a horrifying amount of food. I think we’ve been preparing for the apocalypse. So, I’ve set the family the challenge to ‘eat the pantry’ down and only shop for perishables for the next month.
Lurking in the back of the baking cupboard was a tin of pumpkin. Normally I just puree fresh pumpkin and squash for my recipes, but since I need to clear some space I thought I’d make cinnamon rolls with this pumpkin. Not particularly seasonal since it’s August – but hey, it’s raining. Cinnamon buns are deliciously sinful, so let’s pretend that adding some vegetable to the recipe makes it less so.
Cinnamon rolls can take many hours to prepare, but this is a yeast-free quick recipe that is very simple.
Get the recipe!
- 350g (3 cups) self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 115g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 150g (1 cup) light brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 300ml (1¼ cup) plain Greek yogurt
- For the filling:
- 100g (1/3 cup) pureed pumpkin (either tinned or steam the fresh pumpkin and puree)
- 50g (1/3 cup) light brown sugar
- 2 tsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp milk, to glaze
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- 75g (1/3 cup) full fat soft cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 65g (1/2 cup) powdered icing sugar, sifted
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170C. Lightly grease a 9" round cake pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar and salt. In another bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the yogurt. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and combine to make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface. Sprinkle the top of it with a little more flour and roll out to a 12 x 10 inch rectangle.
- To make the filling, mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Spread the filling over the dough and roll up from the long edge to form a log. With a serrated knife, gently cut into 8 even sections.
- Place one section in the middle of the prepared cake pan and place the others around it. Brush the tops with milk to glaze.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Make the cream cheese frosting:
- Mix all ingredients until smooth. Drizzle the frosting over the pumpkin cinnamon rolls. These can be served warm or cold.
Looking for more pumpkin desserts?
Pin for later!