Red Velvet Beet Hot Chocolate is a decadent way to enjoy hot cocoa – with extra goodness from the beets!
It’s not every day that you eat vegetables in hot chocolate, but then, it’s not every day that you go for a full on from-scratch decadent hot cocoa. Beetroot and chocolate pair so nicely in cakes and other desserts, and here the beet gives a new sweetly earthy dimension to the familiar bedtime drink. A little extra beet puree in the whipped cream topping makes it a lovely pink confection just in time for Valentine’s Day. Use your favourite chocolate: dark, milk or a mix of the two, but make sure it’s a good quality one to really do this hot drink justice.
- 100g ( ½ cup) cooked beetroot (approx 1 small beet)
- 500ml (2 cups) milk (or non-dairy milk)
- 100g (3 ½ oz) good quality dark or milk chocolate, grated
- small pinch of salt
- 150ml ( ½ cup) double cream (or whipped coconut cream)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon beetroot puree (reserved from above)
- ½ tablespoon granulated sugar
- Puree the beetroot until smooth and set aside.
- Heat half of the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat until warm. Add the grated chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Add the remaining milk, beetroot puree (reserving 1 tablespoon for the whipped topping) and salt, whisking to combine. Heat until hot but not boiling and serve topped with whipped cream.
- Beat the cream with an electric mixer until it thickens. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until stiff. Refrigerate until ready to use.