These vegan pancakes are light, fluffy and have no unusual ingredients. No banana, no flax. Just 7 basic ingredients and 20 minutes. They’re quick, easy and delicious. Tasty dairy free and eggless pancakes.
I’m from Canada and if there’s one thing we know about, it’s pancakes. (Well, also maple syrup, hockey and how to be chill). I’ve made these vegan pancakes countless times. Hundreds probably. I’ve tweaked and tweaked the recipe until I’ve reached this: the ULTIMATE vegan pancake recipe. Try it and I’m sure you’ll agree.
The thing about these vegan pancakes is that they’re not just good ‘for vegan pancakes’. They’re straight up awesome pancakes that just happen to be eggless and dairy free. People always tell me that they’re the best pancakes they’ve ever had. I think it’s the very very slight tang from the lemon juice/vinegar that really brings out the flavor.
These vegan American-style pancakes are really thick and fluffy, rather than thin, like crepes. They’re perfect for stacking with a drizzle of maple syrup!
When it comes to food and kids, I find that being a bit bonkers is always a good thing. It could mean a picnic in the garden on a warm day, making mashed potato snowmen or putting all the food on sticks. Often, it means having breakfast for dinner. And that’s usually these vegan pancakes.
Any of my children’s friends who have ever graced our dining table have probably been fed pancakes. They’re cheap and easy to make, plus they’re always a crowd pleaser with kids.
To make them a bit healthier, I put out a little buffet of toppings and let them have at least one savoury pancake, then one sweet. Toppings usually include cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes or yogurt and I always serve them with a buffet of raw veggies and hummus.
Traditionally, pancakes are made with eggs, flour and milk. But with just a few swaps and a couple of other store cupboard ingredients you can easily make them vegan. I’ve found that everyone always tuck straight in and never notice that they’re at all different to standard ones.
It’s funny how eggs are fundamental to making traditional pancakes, but actually it’s really easy to make pancakes without eggs. They’re still light, fluffy and easy.
However, since this recipe is dairy free and eggless, they’re suitable for children with allergies and intolerances. They’re also easily gluten-free and soy free.
Dairy Free Pancakes
These light and fluffy pancakes are completely dairy free. I’ve used soy, almond, hemp, hazelnut etc.. milk. Any dairy free milk will do and they all work perfectly. With my easy recipe, there is absolutely no compromise on taste, texture or deliciousness.
My son has recently developed a dairy intolerance, so these are our go-to pancakes now. We all love them and they’re super easy to make, too.
You can easily swap to gluten free flour if necessary. Just be sure to double check that your baking powder is gluten free too.
Vegan Pancake Tips and Tricks
- You need to let the batter rest for 5 mins for optimum fluffiness. This is non-negotiable people. You want that fluffiness.
- Add a handful of blueberries for vegan blueberry pancakes
- Throw in a handful of dairy free chocolate chips for a special treat.
- Make it gluten free – use gluten free flour (and ensure your baking powder is gluten free too).
- When cooking the pancakes, add a little more oil if necessary between batches.
- Swap for coconut oil, if desired.
- Don’t waste the leftovers. You can freeze leftover cooked pancakes, then just put them in the toaster to reheat.
- Don’t make the batter too far in advance. It’s best when cooked just after the 5 mins resting time.
Get the Vegan Pancakes Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes, vegan cake and also easy vegan desserts.
- 1 1/3 cups 300 ml dairy-free milk (almond, soy etc...)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil plus more for frying
- 2 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups 175g plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch / cornflour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar optional
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sift in the flour, cornflour and baking powder and mix.
- It will still be slightly lumpy, but don’t over-mix or the pancakes will be tough. Set the mixture aside, letting it rest for 5 minutes for fluffier results.
- Add a drizzle of oil to a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Ladle small rounds onto the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until bubbles appear on the surface and the underside turns golden. Flip and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes or until golden.