Maple yogurt is the perfect topping to zucchini (courgette) and dark chocolate chunk pancakes. A tasty breakfast.
Pancake day, you beautiful ode to carb-laden breakfast. How have you not crossed the pond to North America yet? In the UK, every year we merrily celebrate this holiday (Shrove Tuesday), unquestioningly. Most aren’t really sure why, something or other to do with using up what’s in the house before lent. But nevertheless, we consume pancakes on this day.
Buckwheat? Scotch? Crepes or fluffy American-style? Whatever your pleasure, today is all about the pancake.
For these, I’ve shredded courgette (aka zucchini) into them, alongside great big chunks of dark chocolate. For the topping, I’ve made a maple yogurt to add that lovely sweet/sourness to offset the sweetness of the chocolate. Oh, and you do know, don’t you, that the addition of a vegetable completely counteracts any naughtiness in the chocolate? Definitely.
Chocolate Courgette Pancakes with Maple Yogurt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil plus extra for cooking
- 100 g (1 cup) raw zucchini/courgette, grated
- 50 g (1/3 cup) dark chocolate, chopped
- 150 g (1 cup) plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
For the Maple Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Whisk the milk, maple syrup, vanilla, egg and oil together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the grated courgette (zucchini), chocolate, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, maple syrup, vanilla, egg and oil together. Pour into the flour bowl, along with the grated zucchini and chopped chocolate and mix until combined.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Pour in scoops of batter. When the batter begins to bubble, flip and cook the other side until golden. Repeat until the batter is finished. Top with the maple yogurt.
For the Maple Yogurt
- Mix the ingredients together until combined. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the maple yogurt and a little grated courgette and shaving of chocolate.